I’ve had a miserable time behind the sewing machine for the last few weeks. I was asked to make something for a friend. The fabric was expensive because I had it printed with a specific pattern, I have never made anything for anyone else before (other than H), I’d never used the pattern before or done princess seams. Add this pressure to a dose of flu for 3 weeks and you end up with sewing misery.
I got to the stage of putting in a zip and finishing the hem and made the decision to abandon the project. I haven’t told my friend yet and I’m about £70 down.
Here’s some of the reasons why it was wrong….
- I thought the fabric was thick enough to not need lining, but had to put one in retrospectively.
- The pictures lined up well on the front, but looked silly where the princess seams couldn’t pattern match.
- Despite checking the tension, the seams looked really wrinkly and curled.
- The arm holes looked really silly with the binding and it curled outwards.
- I didn’t want to do a zip. I hate zips.
- I lost sleep over the thought of giving it to someone else, I was embarrassed and even felt ashamed.
But to end on a positive, there was no way I’d have been able to do most of those things this time last year. I’m on the lookout for some new fabric to make another dress for my friend, so I’m not completely put off!